Strategic planning for all levels at WSU
We’re not sure how people survived road trips without GPS. A clear understanding of where we are going makes all the difference in how quickly and easily you can get there; strategic planning serves that purpose at WSU to help us reach and achieve our goals for educational excellence.
Strategic planning should be the methodology for WSU’s operations. The system strategic plan serves as the foundation that guides the evolution of WSU’s statewide enterprise. Campuses, colleges, and other units develop and update their plans in a way that complement and flesh out the big-picture goals, objectives, and strategies established by the system-wide plan.
The WSU planning cycle
The vision for the Washington State University system is best achieved as each campus, college, and unit participates in the planning cycle.
After the university system goals and priorities are established, each campus, college, and unit set their goals, priorities, and strategies. These should align with the system.
With these goals and priorities in mind, budgets are established, resources are allocated, and plans are put into action. We then monitor and measure progress through various metrics, and continually evaluate effectiveness.
Each year, an annual review and refresh will occur on a system level to establish the following year’s priorities.
Supporting each campus, college, and unit
In addition to the WSU system strategic plan, we assist campuses, colleges, and units according to their planning needs. Our services are customized to the needs of that unit to whatever degree is needed, and are offered at no cost to WSU units:
Design and facilitate half or full day planning sessions
Collaborate with planning teams
Assist in consultation for the development of a unit’s plan
Help units align with the system plan
Provide materials and tools for planning
Tools for planning success
Need a jumpstart or a framework for your planning process? We’re happy to assist with that.
Because we are a new office, we are still building out toolkits. We are excited to help and assist you with your planning needs and develop new materials along the way!
- Would your unit benefit from a facilitated discussion to help create a shared vision? Perfect, because we would love to help with that. Let’s chat about this service we freely provide for all WSU campuses, colleges, and units.
- Additional tools and resources will be posted soon, we promise! Contact us and let’s talk about what your needs are- we may have something in development that you can use.
- Need an example of a strategic plan? Check out the WSU system’s strategic plan. You’ll find plenty of definitions and the planning process there, too
A transformative approach to data use
Washington State University students will engage in scholarship, research, and experiential learning activities to prepare future leaders, scholars, and global citizens.
- As outlined in the WSU System strategic plan and OneWSU guiding principles, data should inform decision-making. We are shifting how the WSU system approaches data and makes decisions to achieve its strategic goals.
Data governance is already happening in the WSU system, but we have room to improve. The Data Management Program will put in place structures and guidelines to drive innovation and efficiency in reporting, analytics, and data management for all WSU stakeholders.
Our vision is to make data more accessible, accurate, and actionable for all who need it.
- Phase 1 involves laying the foundation for the program, including engaging stakeholders and convening the Data and Analytics Governance Council.
- We completed the Technology and Applications Inventory.
- We’re also building the framework for phase 2, which begins in spring 2023.
- Access the latest program updates.